Monday, September 19, 2016

Bluebird

Bluebird follows the story of a boy that does not have any friends at school and feels lonely. At school, he is bullied and excluded, experiencing great sadness as a result. After school one day, however, the boy is followed by a bluebird. The two become fast friends, playing at the park, sharing a cookie, and sailing a boat on a pond. The pair encounter the bullies in the park and the bluebird is caught in the middle of an unfortunate accident that leads to its death. Out of the woods comes a flock of colorful birds that carry the boy and bluebird into the air and away from the bullies that caused them harm.

A book that highlights the ideas of bullying and loneliness, Bluebird is a story about an unlikely friendship. As much as I wanted to enjoy this book, I just could not come to like it as much as I thought I would. Although I think that it is a heartwarming story, there were so many aspects of it that made me question why it is so highly praised. Overall, I think that I am having trouble understanding the intended audience. It is a gorgeous book with beautiful illustrations that made me feel like I was reading a graphic novel, however I don't see how this book tells a story about friendship in a way that is relatable or teachable in a classroom.

Most likely the reason that I cannot picture using this wordless picture book in my class is that it does not really teach a lesson of any sort. That is not to say that books must teach a lesson every time, but when a bird is killed as a result of negligent bullying, it seems as though there should be some repercussions or a message that shows the readers that killing animals is wrong. Instead, the author takes a odd turn, allowing the reader to draw their own conclusion about what ultimately happens to the bluebird.

Despite my confusion, I could see how this book would be used in a way that asks students to predict what happens to the bird at the end of the story. The violence that's displayed, however, almost overshadows the positive message that the author attempts to send.

I'm not sure that I see this author's vision and, therefore, I do not believe that I would ultimately use this book in my classroom.

Bluebird
By: Bob Staake
Published in 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment