Sunday, October 23, 2016

Bud, Not Buddy


Bud, Not Buddy follows the story of ten-year-old Bud Caldwell, an orphan from Flint, Michigan who has experienced a lot more than a ten-year-old should. A self-proclaimed "really good liar," Bud has gone through three foster homes in search of a better life after his mother's death. After a messy and dangerous end to his last foster family, Bud decides that it's time he lives on his own. His purpose: finding his father.

With a few clues from his late mother, Bud decides to walk over 120 miles to Grand Rapids to see the great Herman E. Calloway. He believes that this famous jazz musician is his father and is determined to find him. Although he's pretty sure of his discovery, Mr. Calloway is not; he doesn't want anything to do with Bud. His band members, however, take Bud in and care for him. They give him responsibilities and, in exchange, feed him and give him a place to stay—nicer than anything he's ever had!

Eventually, the band discovers Bud's true identity and it is revealed that Mr. Calloway is actually Bud's grandfather. As a result, Bud is happy and feels as though he has found his home.

When I saw that this book was an option for this week, I was so surprised that I had not read it. I have seen the cover of this book for many years and have always been curious about it, but never had the opportunity to read it. I felt as though it was a sign that it was time I cracked it open! I was so pleased that I did.

This story goes through a wide range of emotion and I truly felt so sad for Bud as I came to understand his life. His quick wit and clever insights showed me that he had an understanding of the world around him that was much deeper than we could ever expect from a ten-year-old boy. The author, Christopher Paul Curtis, did a great job of establishing a unique voice for Bud that made me feel as though I got to know him on a deeper level every time he spoke.

The focus on "Bud, not Buddy" was important to me as a reader because I felt as though this was the one thing that Bud could control in his life. It was essential that he had his name. I thought that this was an essential part of Bud's character and it helped shape his image even more in my mind.

Although there were so many sad moments in this book, I was consistently hit with uplifting and hilarious moments that made me laugh out loud. I am so excited that I finally had the chance to read this book and I really wonder what young students think of Bud, too.

Bud, Not Buddy
By: Christopher Paul Curtis
Published in 2002




No comments:

Post a Comment